Yield: 2 Loaves
I grow lots of zucchini and culinary lavender in the garden. A little tired of traditional zucchini recipes and not really in the mood for chocolate, I decided to try one of my favorite flavor combinations and craft it into a “not too sweet” zucchini bread. The results are good enough to share. This is not as sweet as you would think. Not just a breakfast bread, or snack with tea, this little loaf serves well with a dollop of whip cream or scoop of vanilla bean ice cream as a late summer dessert.
Lavender Lemon Zucchini Bread
- 2 – 9 X 5 inch loaf pans
- Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Cake tester or toothpick
- Zesting tool or microplane grater
Wet Loaf Ingredients
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 cup Olive Oil, extra virgin good quality
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Milk, 2% or Whole
- 2 tsp Lemon zest, fresh
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice, fresh-squeezed
Dry Loaf Ingredients
- 4 cups Cake Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 tsp Lavender Buds Culinary
- 1 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice, fresh-squeezed
- 2 tbsp Lemon Zest, fresh
- t tbsp Milk, 2% or Whole
- 2-4 stems Culinary lavendar, fresh cut optional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 9 X 5 inch loaf pans, or coat with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, then add the oil and sugar until well blended and oil is fully incorporated. Add the sourcream, milk, zucchini, lemon zest and juice and mix well.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder to the batter and mix well to combine.
- Stir in lavender buds.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- During last 15 minutes of cooking, prepare the glaze by mixing all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- While still warm, remove bread from loaf pans to a cooling rack placed over a piece of parchment paper or a cookie sheet and drizzle with the glaze. The paper or cookie sheet will catch the drips and make clean up easier.
- If desired, garnish the loaves with fresh cut culinary lavender flowers.
- Allow the bread to cool and the glaze to set before cutting.