Yield: Two loaves
Who knew that vegetables could be so subtly sweet, very moist, and pair well with coffee, tea and ice cream? This quick bread is a double hit of chocolate with a hint of orange and a sweetened cream cheese filling. It’s a great way to use up that extra zucchini that seems to be sprouting out of my garden right now.
Serve at room temperature, reheated or even chilled. This bread is more like cake and suitable for breakfast, coffee breaks, and a quick dessert. Imagine it ala mode…sigh.
Cream Cheese Filling 8 oz cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup sugar 2 tsp orange zest 3 Tbsp flour 2 egg Chocolate Batter Dry Ingredients: 2 cups flour 1/2 tsp salt 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 6 Tbsp cocoa 1 cup sugar 1/4 cup brown sugar Wet Ingredients: 1/2 cup oil 3 eggs 2 tsp vanilla 1/2 cup sour cream 3 cups shredded zucchini zest of 1 orange Add In 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Grease and flour two 1.5 quart loaf pans.
- Preheat oven to 325 Farenheit.
- Make filling: Beat cream cheese in a small bowl until smooth and creamy. Beat in sugar, orange zet, and flour until smooth. Add egg and beat until throughly mixed. Set aside.
- Make chocolate bread batter: Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a large mixing bowl, beat oil, sugars, eggs, and vanilla till creamy. Stir in sour cream, zucchini, and orange zest. Add dry ingredients and mini chocolate chips and stir just till moistened being careful not to over beat.
- Spread 1/4 of the chocolate batter in the bottom of each pan.
- Then add half of the cream cheese filling to each pan.
- Divide the remaining batter between the two pans.
- Bake at 325° for 60-80 minutes. Check after 60 minutes as oven temps and loaf pan sizes and materials can vary.
- When the bread is done, a toothpick inserted into the chocolate part should come out clean. Cool in pans for about 10 minutes before removing to cooling racks