Happy Cinco de Mayo! We decided to skip the heavy Mexican food meal at the end of the day, and opt for Heuvos Rancheros for brunch this year. It is hearty and filling and will probably stay with us all day.
This dish is basically a layering of ingredients. The Fresh Red Salsa, Chipotle Salsa, and Chipotle Black Bean Sauce can be prepared a day in advance to save time. You could even fry the tortilla shells in advance as they will reheat well in the oven.
This recipe serves 4, but can be easily scaled up or down.
4 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
8 Corn Tortillas
15 oz. Can Refried Beans, divided
1 Cup Chipotle Black Bean Sauce, divided
1 Cup Shredded Cheese, divided (can use Monteray Jack, Cheddar or any combination you prefer)
Chopped Fresh Cilantro
Chipotle Black Bean Sauce
Fresh Red Salsa
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat and fry tortillas one at a time until firm, but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain grease.
- Meanwhile, place refried beans in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and cook in the microwave until heated through.
- When tortillas are fried and beans are heated, assemble the base by placing four tortillas on the baking sheet. Top with 1/4 of the refried beans, 1/4 cup Chipotle Black Bean Sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup grated cheese, or more if you like it really cheesy.
- Place remaining fried tortillas on serving plates.
- Bake base until cheese is melted, 2 to 5 minutes, keeping an eye out so you don’t overcook.
- While base is cooking , fry eggs over-easy in the skillet. Add butter if the tortillas have absorbed all the oil.
- Remove base from oven, place on top of tortilla on serving plate. Top with two fried eggs per plate.
- Add desired toppings and serve immediately with extra salsa and sauce on the side.