Be warned, this creamy soup packs in a lot of calories. Most of the calories come from fat, and this does comply with the Keto diet if that is your thing. Fat is where the flavor is at! But it is balanced with highly nutrious vegetables and stock. Changing to vegetable stock and omitting the bacon makes this a hearty vegetarian meal.
I start this soup with a classic Mirepoix, the fundamental element of classic cuisine. Three aromatic ingredients (carrot, celery and onion) come together to provide flavor and aroma to stock, soups, sauces and other foods.
This soup can be made quickly on a weeknight. The recipe makes about 3 quarts of soup. It can be divided easily to make less. It does freeze well because of the emulsion of the cheeses into the soup and stores in the refrigerator for several days.
3 Tablespoons Butter
Drizzle of Avocado Oil
1 Whole Medium Onion, Diced
1 Whole Large Carrot, Diced
3 Celery Stocks, Diced
4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
2 Quartz Chicken or Vegetable Stock
8 Cups Broccoli Florets (fresh preferred, can use frozen)
8 ounces Cream Cheese
3 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Grated
Additional Steamed Broccoli Florets
Cooked Bacon Crumbles
Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- Over medium heat, melt butter and avocado oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and cook until onion is translucent. Stir frequently for even cooking. Do not brown.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for 1-3 minutes more, garlic will soften.
- Add stock and fresh broccoli. If using frozen broccoli, see step 5. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes. Broccoli will be very tender. If using frozen broccoli, do not add it until the last 10 minutes of cooking time as it is already partially cooked before it is frozen.
- Remove from heat and blend with an emmersion blender or in batches using a food processor or traditional blender.
- Return to low heat and add in the cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Cook stirring continuously until cheese are melted and incorporated into the vegetable puree. If you wish, use the emmersion blender to thoroughly incorporate the cheeses.
- At this point, the soup is done and ready to serve.
- Top with optional steamed broccoli, bacon crumbles and cheese if desired.