This is actually a really quick meal to make. Lots of bold flavor. Don’t let the anchovies throw you off. They brighten the flavor, just like they do in Caesar’s salad dressing.
2 pounds Clams, live, scrubbed and rinsed well
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
4 Tablespoons Butter
2 Ounces Anchovies in oil
4 Cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
1 1/2 Cups dry White Wine
8 Ounces Clam Juice
Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
2 Tablespoons Italian Parsley, minced
8 ounces dry Linguine
Fresh grated Parmesan (optional)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Follow package direction to cook the linguine while preparing the clams. When done boiling linguine, drain and keep warm.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a deep sided sauce or saute pan over medium high heat. Cook until butter is melted and beginning to bubble. Add Anchovies and stir into the butter and olive oil. Mash as you stir, incorporating the anchovies into the butter and oil.
- Add minced garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Add clam juice, white wine and red pepper flakes. Increase heat until liquid boils.
- Add clams to boiling liquid. Cover with lid. Cook until clams open fully. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Add minced parsley just before serving.
- To serve, place linguine in deep bowls or pasta dishes and top with the clams and broth.
- Top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese if desired.