This is one of my all time favorites for a quick go-to meal. I love the medley of sweet, salty and savory that comes through in this simple take on a Grilled Cheese sandwich. It is the perfect accompaniment to soup or salad for a hearty lunch or quick supper.
In this recipe the amounts of the ingredients are just suggestions. Slice your bread as thin or thick as you like, just make sure it’s thick enough to hold the ingredients. Add more or less jelly, meat or cheese to your personal taste. You can use Red Pepper or Hot Pepper Jelly – either is great, it just depends on your desire for heat or not. Grill bread lighter or darker to your taste. The beauty of this sandwich is you can make it exactly the way you like it. You won’t be disappointed.
2 Slice Rustic bread (I used a Pugliese from the local bakery, but any rustic French or Italian loaf will work)
2 Tablespoons Red Pepper Jelly or Hot Pepper Jelly, divided
2 Slices of Brie from a wedge (more or less to taste)
2 Slices (or more to taste) Prosciutto
1 Tablespoon Butter
- Slice bread and cheese.
- Butter one side of bread slices.
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, in skillet.
- Top with first Tablespoon of Pepper Jelly, followed by sliced Brie and Prosciutto slices and second Tablespoon of Pepper Jelly.
- Top with remaining slice of bread, butter side up.
- Grill in pan over medium heat until golden; turn sandwich and grill until golden on second side.
- Slice and serve while cheese is still gooey and melty.